In the United States, the certificate of title for a vehicle (also known as a car title or Pink slip; or pinks in the plural) is a legal form, establishing a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle in Real life.
While not standardized from state to state, the certificate of title normally specifies:
- Identifying information about the vehicle, normally at minimum its vehicle identification number, make, and year of manufacture.
- The license plate number.
- Technical information about the vehicle to define its taxation regime, e.g., its gross vehicle weight, motive power, and purchase price when new.
- The name and address of the purchaser or "registered owner" who would normally possess and use it.
- If money is owed on the vehicle, the name of the lienholder or "legal owner" to whom this money is owed.
Pink Slips in Car Town are race challenges that Rusty gives you. If you beat him, you'll win his car for free. Depending on the level you are at, or the amount of times you've already beaten him, there will be an random car with a different performance number waiting for you to challenge. If you want to win a Pink Slip race, you have to fully modify your car to fit the race.